While nothing beats washing your hands with good ol’ soap and water for at least 20 seconds, sometimes you need the convenience of hand sanitiser. As finding some on the shelves may be difficult these days, here is a very simple way to make your own…
What you need:
- 2/3 cups isopropyl alcohol or ethyl rubbing alcohol (60% or higher. The higher, the better!)*
- 1/3 cup aloe vera gel (to keep hands from drying)
- A few drops of essential oil (optional. Tea tree oil is recommended).
- Mix the alcohol, aloe vera gel and essential oil in a bowl with a spoon and then beat with a whisk to make a gel.
- Use a clean syringe, ladle or funnel to fill clean bottles, like plastic squeeze bottles, with the gel mixture.
- Store in a cool, dry place and only use if soap and water are not available to clean your hands.
*Do not use homemade hand sanitisers on children’s skin.