Medical research has come a long way and as a result, the general population life expectancy continues to grow. Good news, right? Well, not for everyone. While we won’t argue that increasing the average person’s lifespan is good, many people are not enjoying the quality of life that we would hope for as they get older. That is why we believe in sustainable and measurable preventative care that really makes an impact.
Preventative healthcare empowers people to take a proactive approach to managing their health, providing far reaching and long-lasting health benefits. From a work productivity point of view, employees that practice proactive preventative healthcare are less likely to need time off to recover from ailments or to take care of sick children.
It also lowers healthcare costs by preventing serious diseases and ailments before they occur. Even more critically, it allows for the early detection of a myriad of ailments, and thus increases chances of successful treatment and survival.
We provide practical preventative care benefits to the whole family such as:
- Flu vaccines to protect against infection by influenza viruses
- Female contraceptives to assist in family planning
- Paediatric immunisations to stimulate the immune system to provide protection against specific infections
- A Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) test to measure the level of PSA in the blood.
- Back and neck preventative programme to assist members with chronic back and neck pain and to improve the clinical state of the back and/or neck in order to prevent surgery
- HPV vaccinations help protect against certain types of HPV that can lead to cancer or genital warts
- Mammograms and pap smears to detect early signs of cancers
- Bone densitometry to diagnose osteoporosis or assess risk for suffering a fracture
So, for example, should a member be diagnosed with osteoporosis after having a bone densitometry performed, they become eligible to register on our chronic medication programme.
On top of this, our Tempo wellness programme allows all Bestmed members to take advantage of additional preventative care benefits. Once members complete their Health Risk Assessment, they unlock medical interventions for the whole family worth R4500 every year – completely free.
To make unlocking these benefits that much easier, we offer onsite Tempo Wellness Days at your offices. Due to the national lockdown, however, wellness related activities that were scheduled to take place during the same period, 23 March to 4 May 2020 have been cancelled.
These include activities such as:
- Health Days (screenings and provision of flu vaccines onsite)
- Pilates or any other fitness classes
- Health related information sessions
We sincerely regret that we have had to cancel the events listed above, but the health of our employees and their families, our suppliers, business partners, our members as well as you, our participating employer groups, are of utmost importance to us.
Even in this time we will continue to provide quality healthcare to your employees, and excellent service to you.
In choosing Bestmed, your employees have nothing to lose because by taking advantage of our preventive care benefits, they can continue to live their best life!